Welcome to St John's
You may have noticed our signboards; caught the splash of summer colour in our gardens; or been drawn to the understated facade of a church that has been a fixture of this community since 1891.
But, have you met our people?
- Christians, part of the Anglican communion;
- representative of all ages and ail economic groups;
- racially and ethnically diverse; of differing sexual orientations;
- married and single; adults, youth and children;
- and drawn from all areas of the city, as well as centretown.
But more, we are:
- sympathetic to the struggles that many of us experience throughout life;
- aware of and knowledgeable about the legacy of abuse and violence;
- indignant about injustice and inequality;
- humanly flawed and seeking enlightenment;
But above all, we are:
- committed to living in respectful community, in God's name.
We seek to serve:
- anyone in need, the whole community;
- those living with the impact of HIV and AIDS;
- those who hear the rhythm of God's voice in music;
- survivors of violence and abuse;
- the faithful as well as the seekers.
We do this through:
- worship and prayer;
- Christian education programs for all ages;
- a lyrical choir;
- a service of prayer meditation for people concerned with HIV and AIDS;
- small groups of bible study and discussion;
- prayer groups;
- youth and adult social opportunities;
- services to the elderly; to the physically challenged; to those who are ill;
- a community shop;
- a drop in and resource centre for women in crisis;
- various self help groups;
- support of community programs for the hungry, the unemployed and the mentally handicapped;
- and the response of our parishioners and staff to needs as they present themselves.